Supporting Fernando and Rebeca: Fernando and Rebeca’s involvement in several congregations, initiative with the Paz in Movimiento group, conflict transformation classes, and many informal relationships have planted many seeds and blessed many! Their ministry in Mountain States was scheduled to conclude in May. Plans shifted quickly with the arrival of the COVID-19 Coronavirus, interrupting their ability to visit churches and preventing in-person gatherings as we all moved to physical distancing. With borders closing and the possibility of being stranded here, away from family, Fernando and Rebeca made a very fast and difficult decision Saturday morning, March 21, to return to Mexico City. They secured a flight for the next morning and were in their home with their children by that evening, even holding their Movimiento gathering by Zoom from Mexico that evening! This sudden departure changes our opportunities for a farewell and closure:
- Plans for a May 2 Despedida Farewell fundraiser with music, food and some donated art was already in jeopardy with physical distancing, and now will be converted to an online farewell and fundraiser. Conference is supporting Fernando and Rebeca through May and intends to also provide a love offering that will support them during a transition to their next phase of ministry. Our goal for the transition fund is $10,000, and it would be great to surprise them with more! About half of the funds are committed. Watch for online giving opportunities in the next weeks. In fact, you can donate at any time on the MSMC web site, https://mountainstatesmc.org/donate/. Just hit the “Donate” tab and it will take you to a PayPal portal. Indicate Fernando and Rebeca or The World is My Community Fund (TWMCF) on the explanation line.
- To provide feedback on their ministry, Fernando and Rebeca helped prepare questions for a survey which will proceed over the next few weeks. If you do not receive the invitation directly and would like to contribute, please let Jen know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please also pray for Fernando and Rebeca. As uncertain as our situation is here, they returned to a very uncertain situation in Mexico. Schools and businesses were closed the day after they arrived, yet they report many people are ignoring distancing recommendations.
- This is a difficult way to conclude a ministry! We would like to support them through a Zoom farewell/despedida in the coming weeks, and also hope they can return for our next conference assembly, currently planned for July.
- “If you want to reach them directly contact Jen at Administrator@MountainStatesMC.org for their contact information.